maanantai 24. marraskuuta 2014

My big fat gypsy year!

 Hello dear friends and family!

I have made the decision to start writing this blog in English because surprisingly many have told me to write in English and since the original target group (haha studying economics really starts to have an effect on me ;)) of this blog aka friends and family have good English skills so decided to do it.

So, first I could tell about the name of this blog: My Big Fat Gypsy Year. Well, it's probably politically incorrect and I don't mean to offend anyone :D. But where it stems from is that I wanted to write a blog about my life while I'm abroad, first the summer in the US and now here in Germany. And at the moment my life seems to be very unstable (in a good way) since I have been packing my bags several times this year: New Year in Sweden, then in the Caribbeans, summer in the US, traveling around here in Germany, visiting Bulgaria, Finland, Estonia and Holland, back to Finland for the Christmas.... Yes, I'm a rather restless soul I guess!

Well, what I actually wanted to write about today is me staying and someone else traveling: last weekend I had a friend over to visit me! Ryanair offers affordable flights from 22€/one way from Finland to Bremen (thanks to that I'll be busy having visitors for the next couple of weekends! :)).
Unfortunately I had a sports management seminar in the football stadium of the team Wolfsburg Vfl the whole Thursday (I'll write more about that later) so my friend had to spend the whole day by herself on Bremen, but I guess she was ok with it ;) Well in the evening when I finally met her we were both dead tired so we just went to Studenterndorf to sleep (well I would lie if I told that we didn't have a girl talk for hours that night :D). The next day our plan was to go to Bismarck Turm and then have a couple of drinks in the evening. Well, I had only checked out the opening hours not the months so after a long but pleasant walk (and climbing up those hills!) we found out that it will be opened again in spring.... Well we took pics of it anyway and we managed to disturb a fighting couple who had probably chosen that place to be sure to be all by themselves but they clearly hadn't taken in account some stupid tourists not being able to understand that if it says it's closed til April it is closed til then ;D Well, as former (yes, the stress on the word former) athletes we weren't bothered, it was a nice walk anyway and on the way home we stopped at one of the hundreds of bakeries here in Göttingen. My friend was as positively surprised by the prices here than I was as I arrived here, gotta love Germany for the affordable price level and those lovely fresh bakeries! :)
Then we climbed halfway up the hill in the forest behind Studentendorf, I just love that place! (But if I want to go there for a 60 min run the first 20 min is uphill...! :D)

Bismarck Turm

All of this for 5 €!!!





Einstein


 In the evening we made traditional German food, had German beer and Radler and headed to the city center to Einstein for a couple of drinks. Oh it was so good to see an old friend and to speak Finnish!
Namm :)
On Saturday we went to the city center for some shopping :) It's not that big and I haven't really been satisfied of the stores there, but this time it was a nice surprise and my friend had a hard time fitting everything in her small backpack on the way home :D We spent a good while in the city center and in the evening we had some friends over for Finnish food :) It was a little challenging because our oven doesn't work so we had to prepare everything here and then take it to the oven next door where my friend lives :D Well, I guess (fingers crossed) that my friends liked it, at least they ate it without complaint ;D On Sunday we went out for a walk in the Botanic Garden, and then we had coffee in the lovely cafe there and then we made some food and I took my friend to the train station. It was a very lovely weekend, so good to be reminded of my life in Finland :)


Botanic Garden



Thanks for visiting me, see you soon! :)




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti